Go Back   Molten Forum Input and Assistance Guides & Tutorials Technical Guides

noxxn May 18, 2011  
Hi all, I ll try to explain how u can play wow on a linux machine. First I want to apolizise me for my bad english so I ll work with few pictures

1. Download crossOver games

A lot of linux users knows that WINE is a good program to run .exe applications, but I prefer CrossOVer games. Xpver Games is like the best of WINE without any configuration.
u can download it from here

The methode ill explain for is best that u already have the whole WOW folder some where on your machine.

2. open CrossOver Games

Once the program is installed go to menu - crossover games - install windows software

3. select the game

I will see that crossover games already know world of warcraft, select it and click on install

4. cross over games installs the game

u see that crossover games is installing few fonts, also some other packages that is needed to run world of warcraft like MS c++

when u see some like that, just click yes

5. cancel the installation

we already have the wow folder on our machine so we dont need to install. if u need to install it, let it run.

if u cancel the install, u will get this error. Just click "skip this step".

6. let crossover games know where your game is installed.

ok, so we made some bottle like that is called by crossover games. This means that have made some virtual space to run your exe, in our case the wow.exe

go to menu - cross over games - manage bottle

u will see that world of warcraft is in the list. Now u need to let xover games know where the game is.

click on "run command"

and browse to your wow folder and select wow.exe (not the launcher if u play private)

when u selected it u should get this one:

you can create a launcher so u put a shortcut on your desktop or something.

7. run it.

then u should click on "run" and wow should start now.

if u created a launcher on your desktop u can use that shortcut in the future so u dont have to do the fellow steps again.

So, i hope it worked and i hope u can enjoy playing wow by using Linux or ubuntu .

i use linux mint 11 btw.

Banned
galasp May 19, 2011  
Works on 11.04?

Molten Member
noxxn May 19, 2011  
Posted by galasp View Post
Works on 11.04?
yes because linux mint and ubuntu 11.04 are pretty the same

Banned
Ramseslll May 20, 2011  
Wow! :eek:

I'm simply amazed. I remember when WoW came on Mac (officially) and a lot of videos were made where a Mac and a "PC" (Windows) were laughing at a Linux... :p

Thanks for this guide (even though I already have a Mac, and so don't really need this information)!

Molten Member
noxxn May 21, 2011  
Posted by Ramseslll View Post
Wow! :eek:

I'm simply amazed. I remember when WoW came on Mac (officially) and a lot of videos were made where a Mac and a "PC" (Windows) were laughing at a Linux... :p

Thanks for this guide (even though I already have a Mac, and so don't really need this information)!
ye, games and linux is still not that good combo but programs like WINE and xover games allow us to play in kind of windows enviroment.

but thx that u like it. ;-)

Banned
buuren May 21, 2011  
gonna try this on fedora, good guide

Molten Member
morais17 May 21, 2011  
I play on the latest version of ubuntu with wine, and it works 100%.

Molten Member
noxxn May 21, 2011  
Posted by morais17 View Post
I play on the latest version of ubuntu with wine, and it works 100%.
yes wine is good too , but crossover games is like the best of wine. I tried with wine too and i had some issues, that is why i use Xover now.

but ye, wine is good too

Banned
loka2224 May 22, 2011  
thank you alot.

Molten Member
noxxn May 22, 2011  
Posted by loka2224 View Post
thank you alot.
you are welcome

Banned
Silverpion May 22, 2011  
Meh I tried it and it didn't work. Couldn't start up Wow after all the installations.

But I guess it's good, when I'm on ubuntu I rarely have anything to decrease my attention from work lol.

Also, 7 days trial only made me uninstall right after. Would've uninstalled even if it worked.

Molten Member
morais17 May 23, 2011  
Posted by xpeterbx View Post
yes wine is good too , but crossover games is like the best of wine. I tried with wine too and i had some issues, that is why i use Xover now.

but ye, wine is good too
I always use wine to play wow, the only issue i had was with the sound stuttering, but it was easy to fix.

Molten Member
noxxn May 28, 2011  
Posted by morais17 View Post
I always use wine to play wow, the only issue i had was with the sound stuttering, but it was easy to fix.
only sounds? cause i had some troubles with mouse too in wine

Banned
gravitus June 1, 2011  
I run wine on a box with 64_bit fedora with a dual core cpu and an x1600 pci-e pro 512. I constantly get 50 fps in most areas(25 in dalaran). The only thing I can't get working correctly is openGL. Others have simply added it to their config.wtf file (SET gxApi "opengl") When I do this it crashes my game when I load in every single time.

Sound and mouse oddly worked right away with no changes necessary.

Molten Member
ahiung June 1, 2011  
For everyone who want to play WOW with wine in ubuntu, use wine v1.3.19.
Please go to this link: [SOLVED] Wine: WOW mouse problem Ubuntu 10.10 [Wine1.3] - Ubuntu Forums
I already explain everything there in the last post.
Wish you have fun

Molten Member

Tools

Designed by Molten