Go Back   Molten Forum Input and Assistance Guides & Tutorials Technical Guides

TheAxe April 24, 2011  
Since im seeing allot of people with wrong realmlist.wtf files i decided to make this post.
(@admin / mod) If wanted sticky it.

What is realmlist.wtf ?
This is the file that directs the client to the login server. So to speak .. it tells wow where it need to connect and to what server.

Where to find realmlist.wtf ?
The file is found in: X:\World of warcraft\Data\enGB\
X = Drive you installed the game in
World of warcraft = The install directory
Data = The sub directory called Data
enGB = The language of the install

added:
For cataclysm the file is in your root directory.
X:\World of warcraft\

How do i open it?
Use your favorite text editor (example: Notepad.exe)

What does the file look like?
Code:
set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
set patchlist eu.version.worldofwarcraft.com
set realmlistbn ""
set portal "eu"
in lines:
set realmlist = points to the login server
set patchlist = points to the patch server
set realmlistbin = points to the patch and login servers shareing state
set portal = points to the community (in my case europe)

How should it look like for molten ?
For wotlk:
Code:
Set realmlist logon.molten-wow.com
* Since molten does not support patching or uses a community service .. all lines (except the realmlist) can savely be deleted.

For cata/mop:
Code:
set realmlist logon.molten-wow.com
set patchlist logon.molten-wow.com
Why should you do this ?
By deleting all but the set realmlist the game cannot autopatch and cannot register itself with the shares of blizzard. In fact the whole game doesnt point to blizzard anymore.

Advice:
Before alternating the realmlist file .. MAKE SURE you make a backup of the original file
Example: Make a hard copy of it (windows copy/paste) and rename the file (F2) to for example ((original)realmlist.wtf)

I so hope this little guide will help allot of players and prevents them from another 6 hours of installments.

Enjoy

Edited: August 21, 2014
Molten Member
Etherized April 25, 2011  
Thanks for typing this up it's been a big help.

But when i try to save the realmlist file after changing the text to "Set realmlist logon.molten-wow.com" an error message comes up that says "Access is denied".

Any suggestions?

Molten Member
Etherized April 26, 2011  
Posted by Paradize View Post
Usually this happens when you're not the administrator of the computer you're running, try dragging the file realmlist.wtf to your desktop, changing it and then moving it back into your "World of Warcraft/Data/enGB or enUS/..." folder.
Thanks good sir. Worked like a charm.

Molten Member
BlackMetalz May 31, 2011  
if u dont see that file or stuck in handshaking when login, u can create new notepad called realmlist.wtf and copy/paste "Set realmlist logon.molten-wow.com" to that file

Molten Member
dethrone June 5, 2011  
Posted by BlackMetalz View Post
if u dont see that file or stuck in handshaking when login, u can create new notepad called realmlist.wtf and copy/paste "Set realmlist logon.molten-wow.com" to that file
i do see the file but im stuck at handshaking, should i delete the old file and create a new one?

Molten Member
Noella June 5, 2011  
It's important to save the edited realmlist as a plain text file. A rich text file or anything else won't work.

Molten Member
dethrone June 5, 2011  
Posted by BlackMetalz View Post
this solved my issue. i deleted my old realmlist file, created a new with "Set realmlist logon.molten-wow.com".

although it contained the same text it allowed me to connect

Molten Member
Noella June 7, 2011  
You need to reinstall and stop it before it updates to cata, then change the realmlist
Connection Guide - Molten Community Forums

Molten Member
Xegethion June 12, 2011  
I did everything exactly but when i execute the wow.exe file it says "failed to find a suitable display device. Exiting program."

Molten Member
Nomercynow June 17, 2011  
"You've been disconnected from the server"
everytime I try to log-in.
Why is that?

Molten Member
dragonskills August 9, 2011  
help me plz!!
my wow have patched automaticly to 4.2 gage of firelords when i logged in and now i have set that realmlist thing to molten wow but if i login the server disconnect me from wow
or must i fully update to 4.2 with the launcher that was started but not full it was in stage 2

Molten Member
KomeijiKoishi October 16, 2011  
I have a ton of \\'s in my realmlist.wtf

Good thing I add notes to every server so I can remember what is what.

Molten Member
Kizmando October 23, 2011  
i cant login...is there a certain launcher i need? bcuz opening up WoW.exe does not allow me to login..it says i am disconnected from the server...what is happening? what do i need to do?

Molten Member
sensimilek February 3, 2012  
amazing thx !

Molten Member
Pokermage February 3, 2012  
Posted by Araym View Post
I got the same problem. I got 3.3.5a version, but when I try to log in it says that I need to update and starts updating... Any suggestions???
Yes update as this says Not my Credits

Molten Member

Tools

Designed by Molten