Go Back   Molten Forum Community Forums Class Forums Hunter

hellangeliv March 25, 2012  
SURVIVAL HUNTER PVP GUIDE

Intro

OK now where do i begin? I'm Odiin, i play on neltharion and i've been a hunter since Vanilla WoW.
I've played all three specs in each expansion (havent played BM in WOTLK though) and yes, i play SV which seems to be the latter of the three specs.

Now Sv was intended (when WoW released) to be a "melee hunter" spec literally.
But after a month or so that idea was scrapped hunters were OP.
Survival is great for countering melee's and the best of the three specs for kiting.
This spec works more with DoT damage than MM's burst, it also has an extra CC

We'll be getting into that later.

Pros:
More CC,
Steady damage output
More survivability
Well rounded
Better Traps

Cons
Less DPS than MM
less damaging skills
No readiness
No Silence

Survival Skills

Now im only going to go over the ones that are pretty much essential. These are pretty straight forward, bear with me here.

Survivalist: Increases your stamina worth the points

Survival Instincts: Reduces damage to you, while nicreasing your crital strike chance with explosive shot. Essential

Scatter Shot: Disorients, Every hunter should invest a point in this. more CC

Survival Tactics: Reduces cooldown of Disengage and reduces the chance feighn death will be resisted. May save your life one day

Lock'n'Load: (3/3) when frost or freezing trap are triggered. 100% chance to cause you're next two arcane shots or Explosive shots to have no cooldown and cost no mana. Essential just get it, dont argue with me.

T.N.T increases damage done by Explosive shot/Explosive Trap/Immolation Trap/ and black arrow. Get it.

Wyvern Sting: Puts target to sleep for 5 secs, once awoken has a 5 sec dot. Yes i know it says 30 secs, but we're talking pvp here get real, we're not that OP. (breaks on damage like all our CC's)

Black Arrow: DoT increases dmg to target, and causes Damage over time (DoT), essential we need the dmg.

Explosive Shot: Our "WIN" button, our trump card. This skill sends an explosive arrow at the target that ticks every sec for 2 sec. Get it, no if ands or buts. ( NOTE: When Lock'n'Load procs DO NOT spam this skill, it nerfs your dmg, wait until after ALL your ticks are finished before using it again, I cannot stress it enough, when hunters do this it makes me rage L2P!)

all other skills are pretty self explanatory and i trust you to know what you need and dont need. (and im lazy and might edit this later)

Spec
Out of the three talent trees, Survival is the most flexible.
There are three ways in which you can spec.
Damage (BG, 3v3)
Survivability (Solo bg, world pvp)
Utility (Bg, 2v2)

Damage- utilizes of course, Damage. This spec puts out close damage to MM only being a few % away.
It dips far enough into MM for Aimed shot, adds points into Improved tracking for the extra damage, and works with trying to Crit with explosive shot as much as possible since Explosive shot is your main damage source.
Remember you're not playing as MM so burst damage isn't as good, instead our damage is more Steady, and will improve over time.
This spec works better in battlegrounds and 3's due to a high damage output
http://armory.molten-wow.com/charact...rion/?group=2/ My damage spec

Survivability- The least common of the three survival paths, this spec decreases the amount of damage you take, and will help you survive BUT it will sacrifice damage. Dipping further into the BM tree than in the MM tree will help you survive at the sacrifice of aimed shot.
When doing world pvp or if you want to "Solo" bg's without being cut down to fast this spec is the one for you.
My survivability- http://armory.molten-wow.com/calcula...30532133021031
Grace's Survivability-http://armory.molten-wow.com/calculator/talent/3/?build=0520300100000000000000000023000000000000000 00000000002303122510233330533112321001

Utility- This focuses on crowd control, keeping your enemies constantly CC'd is valuable when in arenas, and even in some bg's. With this tree there is two more ways you can go with this.
Sacrifice Explosive shot for Readiness, or keep Explosive shot for the added damage.
This spec works well when fighting casters due to interruptions, but not as effective as MM, remember we lack Silencing shot. Utility is a great well rounded spec in terms of CC, and the paths you can go with this spec exceed the [atchs of its two counterparts.
It is possible to put this spec in with a bit of damage, or with a bit of survivability , whatever suits your needs.

http://armory.molten-wow.com/calcula...30330130201021

Glyphs

Explosive shot
Aimed shot
Disengage
Pretty Self explanatory stuff here, and im not going to go over minor gylphs with you guys.
Some may want to use glyph of frost trap, that is also viable, but just not what i would do.

Gems,Gear

The most common hunter Gem Agi Works fairly well, i would not recommend putting in Stamina (why would you? it wont help too much)
also i recommend atleast 75% spellpen seeing as all the Survival hunter skills are spell based. Black arrow/explosive shot/Arcane shot (which you should not be using), Serpent Sting, Wyvern sting etc. Spellpen will help you here.
Agi/Spellpen.

As for Gear, We all know PVP gear is Best for PvP. Using Pve Gear in pve will get you cut down faster than a hot knife through melting butter.
PVP gear, but PVE trinket,ring,necks, work fine. Medallion of the alliance is absolutely essential.

(Donor)
Oathbinder BiS for 2h weaponry
(Vote)
Dreambinder best pve vote wep you can get as far as i know,
if you're not hit capped
Dark edge of Depravity will work too.
(none)
2 Wrathful cleavers works wonders,
Two one handed weps are preffered for pvp anyway, just incase you get disarmed you can still use deterrence,

Professions
Engineering: rocket boots, parachute and rocket gloves. Engineering is a must for hunters in PvP in my opinion. GET IT!
Jewelcrafting: you can get 3 epic gems (+34 agility for example) which is a good boost to your stats.
Tailoring: swordguard embroidery. It's a cloak enchant which has a chance to grant you 400 attack power for 15 seconds, with an internal cooldown of 45 seconds (internal cooldown = time it takes for an item to be able to proc again. So if the internal cooldown of an item is 45 seconds, it will be able to proc again 45 seconds after the last proc has ended.).
(Proffesion guide credit goes to alexander, made my job easier and i couldnt have said it better myself)

Pets

You're going to want pet's that can add some CC for you, Crabs, Spiders, Ravagers are the most common for good reason they work best.

Crab: Intervene- Prevents one skill from hitting you (works with DoTs)
Roar of Sacrifice: Bugged
Pin: Roots the target and causes Channeled dmg (squeeze)
Charge: rushes to the target stunning them for 1 sec

Spider: Web: Roots the target
Roar of Recovery: Restores 30% of maximum mana
Roar of Sacrifice: Bugged
Dash: increases movement speed for 16secs (can be permanant if specced correctly)

Ravager: I dont have alot of experience with ravager seeing as Crabs and spiders are my main pets, so here is what i've gathered from alexander's guide.
Ravage: 1 second stun. Really good versus casters to interrupt. This stun is untrinketable. Undispellable.
Dash: increases pet's movement speed by 80%. If spec'd and if used on autocast, your pet will be able to dash at all times. If you and an enemy are both mounted, you can mount off, let your pet dash and then web your enemy, it's a great tactic to make them dismount.
Roar of recovery: restores 10% of your mana every 3 seconds for a total of 9 seconds.

Duels

Im going to go over some classes (not all) that may trouble you, or you just might not know how to beat.
I'm not going over specific Specs of course, only general overview.

Warrior: Now these guys shouldnt be too much trouble, Survival eats through wars.
Lay down a frost trap and wait for them to open with charge. Once they do gain some distance and cast Black arrow and explosive shot (remember to let the ticks finish before casting Explosive shot again) you should have lock and load. At this point the warrior will probably bladestorm to gain his speed, and he will of course be heading right towards you. Deterrence this, and once his bladestorm is done cast scattershot, to gain distance. Remember to kite around your frost trap. After distance is gained, put down a snake trap, Aimed shot>Serpent Sting>Explosive shot. he should be dead. If not Improvise it's not hard.

Deathknight These guys may be a bit harder than the warrior but nothing you cant handle. Most will try to slow you and force you to use disengage so they can pull you, dont let his happen. When the duel starts put down a frost trap. Once you're slowed use masters call and begin to kite, you should know what skills to use Black Arrow>Explosive shot>Aimed shot blah blah blah.
Some will get desperate and then death grip you, disengage and kite. The DK will be dead in secs.

Rogues Slightly harder to beat, yet at the same time easier if you know what to do.
cast a flare, set pet to aggressive, use snake trap and wait. they'll sap and start to charge in for the kill once flare is gone, (or you can wing it and keep flare up and hopefully you catch him)
once he starts hitting you your pet naturally will start to dps, now rogues drops fast so this is good.
Wait for kidney shot, once you see that come up trinket out and use scatter shot. lay down a frost trap and use concussive shot. You want to keep rogues slowed so they cant get you.
set your DoTs on him and burst away, some will vanish, but thats no problem, they usually head straight for you after vanishing so put a flare down and a couple of traps. Rogue will be dead in no time.

ShadowPriests Goodluck is all i can these guys are hunter killing machines. when the match starts throw a freezing arrow his way to trigger lock and load , use your skills, CC him as much as possible, everytime you see a cast coming up, use a cc to interrupt, feighn death to make him target your pet (just lose sight of you really), and if you're lucky he'll be dead. no guarantees on this one though.

Paladin: this can be a challenging fight, paladins can pull off some pretty good damage along with heals.
What i recommend doing is to try to lay down as much DoTs as you can, every second you have use tranquilizing shot. Getting rid of their buffs will help you the most here. A pally withought their buffs is like a hunter withought their pet, they will be seriously nerfed. Lay down your frost trap, and use your concussive shot you want to kite these guys, keep them slowed as much as possible. If they get close use scatter shot to gain some distance. Once they use bubble theres no point in hitting them, run around and try to keep your distance, their damage is cut while under the effect of bubble so remember that. After their bubble runs out the rest should be cake, just continue doing what you was doing before, and watch his health fizzle down.
Also if he uses Wings, keep the kite up, wings are dangerous and its a sign that you need to keep distance or die. Whenever you see one attempting to heal withought a bubble you know what to do, wyvern sting, scatter, etc anything to interrupt it. This fight might drag on for a while but in the end you will be victories with your foot on the hauberk of a dead pally.

[/SIZE="5"]ARENAS[/SIZE]
This section is of course for specific arena team setups, this will show you which ones work best for Survial hunter. Healers are very important when doing arenas with SV we are already hard to burst down when properly geared and played right, with a healer we can be virtually invincible.

Resto druid+ Survival hunter[/COLOR]. :For this partner i suggest you the SV spec of nippurs hunter: http://armory.molten-wow.com/charact...wing/?group=2/
This spec takes replenishment to help your druid in case of a mana figth. The druid must be specced agrresive resto (Insect Swarm spec) to help you get a kill. It must be careful when puttin Moonfire or Insect swarm on a target, because all CCs that SV hunters have break on dmg. So, a DoTed target is not able to be CCed by you.

Tips agains Healer+dps combos: Scatter>Trap>Cyclone x2 on healer, then your druid Cyclones x3 the dps to prevent incoming heals. After the 3rd cyclone on the dps, your Freezing Arrow should be ready again (22 sec CD), so, trap the healer. When trap fades, your scatter has returned. Scatter > Wyvern > Cyclone x2 the healer. If this CC chain isn't enough to kill its partner... you have some serious dps problems.

If you need to CC a target that has Serpent sting, you can remove it with Viper or Scorpid sting to remove the DoT.
Viper sting > Scatter > Trap is an excellent way of draining a healer without letting him cleanse the sting.
Imp. concussive shot followed by a Wing Clip is a permanent Daze on a target, remeber that if your partner needs to gain distance.
Serpent Trap screws dispelling classes, as the serpents aply 1598624 debuffs on the target.
(courtesy to nippur for sending this in and reminding me of the arena section)

Survival Hpalla: This is a team i highly recommend, you wont have to worry too much about protecting your partner from dps. Hpallas have great survivability and you can focus on doing max dps to your target.
When focus shifts from you to your partner problems may occur. Remember Concussive shot, snake trap, and frost/freezing can save your partners life if it comes down to it.
the only flaw is Hpallas arent as mana efficient as Rdudu's so making sure your partners mana pool stays up is partly your job as it is his, Use replenishment it can save you and your partner alot of troubles later on.
If you happen to go up against another healer dps class, your focus should be to cc the healer and destroy the dps as fast as you can. Snake traps on healers can be devastating as it applies all of those debuffs. Applying aspect of the viper and use tranqualizing shot on Healers as often as possible it can help cripple them.
When fighting a double dps team your main focus should always be on the one who is "squishier" yet the one who can cripple YOUR healer. for example if fighting a MM hunter and Arms war, your focus should be on the hunter, not only is he squishier than the warrior but his silence can help give his team a big advantage over yours. Keep one dps under CC, while you burst the other down.

More Arena details coming soon.
Guide still UnderContstruction: Give feedback (my first guide) Macro list, arena list, and possible more dueling setups coming soon. This guide is not at all Complete,and everything will be edited to perfection.

Edited: April 21, 2012
Molten Member
Pherella March 25, 2012  
Nice work we realy needed a SV guide

Banned
yeah i've yet to see a decent SV hunter, nearly every hunter here rolls MM. Trying to change that, SV is pretty damn pwnage

Molten Member
Nippur March 25, 2012  
I hope many hunters read it so they stop saying "Noob huntard reroll MM, SV is crap for PVP". I play SV since i first made my hunter 1 year ago, and i really love the playstyle.
Nice guide!

Molten Member
Pherella March 25, 2012  
Posted by Nippur View Post
I hope many hunters read it so they stop saying "Noob huntard reroll MM, SV is crap for PVP". I play SV since i first made my hunter 1 year ago, and i really love the playstyle.
Nice guide!
Yeah, i lvled has SV and also did low lvl bgs in that spec, if it wasnt for the spirit beasts i had still been SV

Banned
Hollyshet March 25, 2012  
ill reroll to sv and try it.. ill tell you if i like it

Molten Member
Posted by warier163 View Post
ill reroll to sv and try it.. ill tell you if i like it
Survival is a more tactical style of play. its not all "PewPewPew" like most hunters like (MM)
you have to know when to do what.
It tears melee's new assholes though.

Molten Member
UrbanJuggernaut March 25, 2012  
Idk what it is/how it works, but WHY DO I SEE SV HUNTERS STACKING SPELLPOWER?!

Molten Member
hellangeliv March 26, 2012  
Posted by UrbanJuggernaut View Post
Because most people that roll hunter, dont know how to play hunter. SpellPen>SpellPower.
AS survival you want to get rid of those resistances that most classes have by default so you can maximize your dps. If they're stacking spell power, then maybe they're just confused.

Molten Member
Wolf4o March 26, 2012  
needs different spec tho.

Molten Member
Ganthritor March 26, 2012  
Personally, I started as SV and then went back to MM. The only reason being silencing shot. I couldn't kill any class that could heal and although wyvern sting does allow for excellent CC it felt too brittle for me. Especially because a lot of SV damage comes from dots. I think it would be worthwhile speccing into both wyvern sting and readiness. But this sacrifices both main damage shots: explosive and chimera. Maybe for 5v5 arenas for super-duper crowd contrrol.

Molten Member
Posted by Wolf4o View Post
needs different spec tho.
IDK what you're talking about

Molten Member
Pherella March 26, 2012  
Posted by UrbanJuggernaut View Post
Maybe because they think SV hunter use magic like mages >_>*

Banned
Wolf4o March 26, 2012  
Posted by hellangeliv View Post
IDK what you're talking about
different
talents
sir

understood?

Molten Member
Posted by Ganthritor View Post
Personally, I started as SV and then went back to MM. The only reason being silencing shot. I couldn't kill any class that could heal and although wyvern sting does allow for excellent CC it felt too brittle for me. Especially because a lot of SV damage comes from dots. I think it would be worthwhile speccing into both wyvern sting and readiness. But this sacrifices both main damage shots: explosive and chimera. Maybe for 5v5 arenas for super-duper crowd contrrol.
i can understand, but speccing so far into MM for readiness (if you're SV) is a bigger nerf than it is a help.
With most magic classes its usually about interruptions.
freezing arrow>scatter shot> wyvernsting, etc
---------------------------------
Posted by Wolf4o View Post
different
talents
sir

understood?
No i dont know if you're talking about my talents. My talents are fine.

Molten Member

Tools

Designed by Molten