Go Back   Molten Forum Community Forums Class Forums Shaman

pepang July 30, 2013  
PVP elemental shaman 4.3.4

I have been asked to write a elemental shaman guide as well, so here we go.

Table of contents:
1. Talents and glyphs
2. Gear setup
3. Stats
4. Gemming
5. Reforging
6. Enchanting
7. Macros
8. Addons
9. "Roations"

1. Talents and glyphs

bilder kostenlos
There are many different talent builds for elemental shamans. These are MY talents, made for 2vs2 with a retribution paladin. Some points are optional, some are must haves.
Talents you could drop:

- Elemental Warding: Reduces magic damage taken.
- Acuity: Increases crit chance.
- Elemental Precision: Grants spell hit rating equal to 100% of your spirit. When using this talent you HAVE TO drop ALL your hit rating items and replace them with spirit items. Spirit is your hit rating now. By rolling this talent you increase your mana regeneration. You should choose this when you have to off heal in arena.
- Earthquake: AOE damage + 10% chance to stun. Only useful in duels and in arena when playing with a damage dealer. Pretty useful to detect stealthers and the stun is useful as well.
- Ancestral Resolve: Reduces damage taken while casting.

Talents you could use:

- Convection: Reduces mana cost of your damaging spells. Not recommend when using Elemental Precision.
- Feedback: Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning reduce the cooldown of Elemental Mastery. Not recommend for 2s burst teams.
- Totemic Reach: Increases the range of your totems.
- Spark of Life: Increases healing done and healing received.

How to decide which talents you should drop and which you should use?
Your talent build depends on what you want to do and on your gear. So its up to you if you read this you will be able to choose your talents.

Glyphs:

Prime
Lava Burst: Lava Burst deals 10% more damage.
Unleashed Lightning: Lightning Bolt is castable while moving.
Flame Shock: Increases duration of Flame Shock by 50%.

Major:
Hex: Reduces cooldown of Hex by 10s.
Stoneclaw Totem: Your Stoneclaw Totem also places a shield on yourself.
Thunder: Reduces the cooldown of Thunderstorm by 10s.

Minor:
Up to you, you dosnt matter at all.

2. Gear setup

Main set: 4/5 ele + resto hands
Off set: spell penetration cloak + haste off set. Spirit / hit ring and offset items in case you are not at 4% hit rating.
Trinket: Medallion + either Badge of Dominance, Darkmoon Card Vulcano, Soul Casket or anything that provides haste / mastery as main stat and spellpower / int on proc.

3. Stats

Hit cap > Spell pen (since iam not sure about it on molten i suggest only the cloak with spell pen.) > haste > mastery > crit

This is the setup that works best for duels and arena.

This is a quote, a forum user was so nice to remind me explaining why you should go for haste:
-mastery is a random chance while haste is always beneficial.
-You're vulnerable to interrupts/los with longer casts.
-More flame shock ticks means more lava surge procs.
-Not only do you do damage faster but you heal faster as well.

4. Gemming

Red: Int
Blue: Int + Stam oder int + hit / spirit or even just hit / spirit in case you need hit rating.
Yellow: Int + haste
Prismatic: Int
Meta: int + increased critical effect

5. Reforging

Iam pretty sure you get hit cap without spirit/ hit reforges so, anyways i did. So iam reforging like this:

Spirit/hit to haste ONLY when you have too much hit rating.
Mastery / crit to haste.

6. Enchanting

Go for what ever provides int or haste.

7. Macros

Focus and mouseover cc macros are really nice for bgs and even better for arena. I cant play without them and I highly recommend them.

Creating your Focus Target:

/Focus

Using a spell on your focus or mouseover target:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt, target=focus,harm] insert spell name
/cast [target=mouseover,harm] insert spell name; [target=target] insert spell name

How does this Macro work?: By pressing the mod key (alt in this case, change it if you want to) you will use the spell on your focus target. If you dont press the mod key the macro will check your mouseover target (mouseover a enemy player = your mouseover target) in case its a enemy you will cast the spell on him. In case you dont press the mod key and your target is no enemy this macro will cast the spell on your normal target)
This kind of macro works nice with spells like Hex, Wind Shear, Purge or Frost Shock.

For your Elemental Mastery you should aim for max. spellpower. Put Elemental Mastery and ALL your spellpower cooldowns in a macro and have fun.

8. Addons

Visit Curse.com if you want to get one of the addons listed below. Iam using way more addon then ill list here. These are highly recommend:

- Gladius: Must have for arena. Replaces the Blizzard arena Frames with better ones that show several useful information.
- Juked: Tracks enemies cooldowns. Only way to actually use fake casting in the right manner.
- Omni cc: Replaces Blizzard Cooldown animation with the certain time.
- Quartz: Replaces Blizzard cast bars. You are able to configure and move cast bars. A must have.
- Tidy Plates: Replaces Blizzard name plates. You are able to configure this addon in a way to make it track cc used on anyone and show it on their nameplates. Pretty useful. I added like 80 auras to track.
- xperl: Replaces Blizzard party, arena, raid, player, target and focus frames. Heal bot or other party frame addons could do the job as well but I love xperl.
- Weak Aruas: Enables you to create Aura warnings. You can make it place a warning on your screen when your Lightning Shield stacked to 9.

9. "Rotations"

First of all ill explain your basic spells:

Thunderstorm: Deals low damage, knocks back enemies and slows them.
Lightning Bolt: Medium damage, castable while moving. Chance to gather Lightning Shield stacks.
Chain Lightning: Bit less Damage then Lightning Bolt, not castable while moving. Deals damage on max 3 targets. Chance to gather Lightning Shield stack which each hit.
Flame Shock: A dot that should be up ALL the time. You will gain 90% spell haste when someone dispells it. Dont replace it while you have the 90% spell haste, spam Lightning Bolt / Lava Burst and a Hex at the end of the buff.
Lava Burst: High damage, 100% crit chance when Flame Shock is up.
Frost Shock: Low damage, slows the enemy.
Earth Shock: Low damage, reduces attack speed. This spell triggers Fulmination so we use it with 9 Lightning Shield stacks.

Unleash Elements: Low damage, increases damage of your next fire spell. Use it before casting Lava Burst.

Searing Totem: Low damage, grants spellpower (talent: Totemic Wrath). On molten pretty controversial because it attacks ANYTHING. So it might interrupt ccs like Polymorph.
Magma Totem: Low AOE dmg, grants spellpower (talent: Totemic Wrath). Use it when you dont want Searing Totem to interrupt ccs.

Earthbind Totem: Roots enemies. Rooted enemies wont get knocked back by Thunderstorm.

Earthquake: Low damage, chance to stun enemies that stay in it. Skill it if you like it, its up to you. I like it for burst combos in 2s and duels.

The question is, how are Elemental Shamans able to pull max burst? Pretty simple: First of all you put your Flame Shock on your target, Unleash Elements and cast Lava Burst. When Lava Burst is on cooldown you spam Lightning Bolt / Chain Lightning till you have 9 stacks. Use Unleash Elements and make sure you use ALL of your int / spellpower cds, then use Elemental Mastery. Unleash a instant Lava Burst and a Earth Shock to trigger Fulmination and consume your Lightning Shield stacks. For even higher Fulmination crits you can wait for you Lava Burst to actually crit the target. Youll gain 10% more dmg (Talent:Elemental Oath) with you next 2 spells. While "waiting" either cast Chain Lightning / Lightning Bolt or simply wait (recommend when you target is very close to you).

Feel free to submit questions or suggestions.RoationsRoations

Edited: July 31, 2013
Molten Member
Cytolysis July 31, 2013  
Overall ain't bad. There's a few things I don't agree with at all.

Earthquake is just a big no-no. Especially since you're talking about arena, it's completely ****. Burning 60% mana for a 10% knockdown chance and terrible damage is simply moronic. Ele's already have mana trouble in long arena matches, using this just makes it worse.

Even in BGs it's so situational people rarely take it. If it were like Ring of Frost: instant cast, freeze for a max of 10 seconds, guaranteed to work if used right. Then yes, I'd sure as hell take it.

Secondly Spark of Life is a must-have for arena and dueling. You're missing out on 6% healing done and 15% healing received. Whether you offheal your partners or heal yourself this talent is more than worth its points. (You're playing with a Retri, meaning you could boost his WoGs which are already insane by 15%).

Ancestral Resolve ain't worth it at all on the other hand. You're screaming to get interrupted or silenced if you go on using your usual rotation while being targeted. We're not mindless turrets casting in the open. I doubt you're casting spells when being targeted, you should be LoSing/kiting giving how many defensive cds we have (zero).
For the same reason you shouldn't be picking it up as Resto. This is a pve talent.

I recommend this spec for Arena's and duels. This for BGs

Other than that I'd add a Haste vs Mastery chapter so people understand the benefits of picking up haste.

For BGs stacking mastery is arguably better.

My two cents!

Molten Member
pepang July 31, 2013  
Earthquake working pretty well in duels and arena (only for burst combos). It is not wasting mana since you ONLY use it pre combat, so while its up you drink. But its controversial i know it. Thats why i said its a point you can drop if you dont like. This is up to you, if you want it skill it, if you dont want it just dont skill it

Spark of Life is pretty nice in arena with a partner that is able to heal you. I dont like it at all, its a common talent thats why i added it in the "talents you can spend points for" section". In many duels you are not albe to benefit from that talent so you dont use it. Up to you. Please read carefully.

Ancestral Resolve works pretty nice for me. If you dont like it, dont skill it. I added many talents you could drop points from or add points. Everything depends on your play style.
Ancestral Resolve as resto: you benefit from it while fake casting. Controversial but i like it.

One point on Elemental Precision seems like a waste of points for me. Up to you but recommend 0/3 or 3/3.

I would like to add your mastery vs haste section. Do you allow me to quote? Stacking mastery is ONLY better when you know you are able to spam Chain Lightning because you gather Lightning Shield stacks faster. But i dont think anyone wants to make a char just for bgs.

Thank you for the reply and suggestions.

Molten Member
arnez July 31, 2013  
some tips

not forget elemental focus 10% bonus damage, this buff come with every critic, and the buff is gain when the spel hit the target.

if you cast

LB-->EShock , fulmination not gain 10% bonus damage, LB is still on the way

But if you cast

LB-->ChainL--->Eshock, by the time you cast Eshock LB will hit the target giving fulmination 10% Bonus damage.

olso not forget

-wind shear not have Global CD
-remember cast great healing weave if you can
-some spells can be cast if you are silence

Sry my english

Molten Member
pepang July 31, 2013  
1. Depends on the range. Actually you are wrong but casting Chain lightning in duels fails and is not recommend. If you want to make sure your Fulmination grants the 10% bonus damage from Elemental Oath simply wait till Lava Burst hits your target, cast it while your target is close or use Lightning Bolt. In some cases you are able to use Chain Lightning but not when you get attacked by someone.

2. Greater Healing Waves cast time is 3s, with normal haste like 2.7s. in most cases you wont be able to use it. I prefer using Healing Surge. In case you are sure you can spend 3s ok but at least in duels you wont have 3s.

3. You got that "some canst can be cast when silenced" wrong. Unleash Elements can be cast while you are actually silenced. If you get interrupted casting Lava Burst you will be able to use other spells of a different school. So it depends on which spells get interrupted by your enemy.

Molten Member
Cytolysis July 31, 2013  
Sure, I don't mind the quoting.

The 1/3 in Precision is a filler talent. You still get 1% damage increase and slightly benefit from spirit (leg enchant). It's more valuable than any other filler.

I'll leave the spark of life vs ancestral resolve debate for what it is.

Molten Member
Barzlux August 5, 2013  
Bro can u write your burst macro, cause mine dont work properly here on molten.

/use 13
/cast elemental master
/cast Lava burst

Even if my trinket is first in macro, it pops up only after 2nd click and after Elemental mastery and my LB is casted so it dont get bonus spellpower from trinket. On another private server this macro work and pop everything with first click, cause elem master and trinket has no global, so they should pop at same time and first click. Also what u think about that all spells (LB,Surge,unleash elements) consume all 2 Clearcasting stacks instead of 1?

Molten Member
SpiderLV August 27, 2013  
Posted by Cytolysis View Post
Overall ain't bad. There's a few things I don't agree with at all.

Earthquake is just a big no-no. Especially since you're talking about arena, it's completely ****. Burning 60% mana for a 10% knockdown chance and terrible damage is simply moronic. Ele's already have mana trouble in long arena matches, using this just makes it worse.

Even in BGs it's so situational people rarely take it. If it were like Ring of Frost: instant cast, freeze for a max of 10 seconds, guaranteed to work if used right. Then yes, I'd sure as hell take it.

Secondly Spark of Life is a must-have for arena and dueling. You're missing out on 6% healing done and 15% healing received. Whether you offheal your partners or heal yourself this talent is more than worth its points. (You're playing with a Retri, meaning you could boost his WoGs which are already insane by 15%).

Ancestral Resolve ain't worth it at all on the other hand. You're screaming to get interrupted or silenced if you go on using your usual rotation while being targeted. We're not mindless turrets casting in the open. I doubt you're casting spells when being targeted, you should be LoSing/kiting giving how many defensive cds we have (zero).
For the same reason you shouldn't be picking it up as Resto. This is a pve talent.

I recommend this spec for Arena's and duels. This for BGs

Other than that I'd add a Haste vs Mastery chapter so people understand the benefits of picking up haste.

For BGs stacking mastery is arguably better.

My two cents!
MMM nice thx for tip

Molten Member
zoobis August 29, 2013  
A pretty good guide, good job.

Although there are a few things that I completely disagree with:
1. Who the hell takes earthquake? It's such a useless spell in arenas, low stun chance, laughable damage, nobody should ever use it. Thank you blizzard for such a great spell for shamans.

2. Do not take glyph of thunder. I know it's tempting since TS is such a great spell, but you should really use the glyph of elemental mastery. Eles are pretty squishy, this is actually our only damage reduction cooldown.

3. I believe going for soul casket, DC:V or any other trinket without resil is a bad idea, I like always using double resil trinkets in arena so I have the extra protection, but I guess that is a situational thing too, depending on your current amount of resil and ofc your arena comp. As for myself, I run a burst comp, so badge of dominance is the obvious choice, giving burst WHEN you need it, and extra resil.

Glad you made this guide, a lot of people have been asking me to do that and I just don't have the time nowadays.

For those who use Power Auras addon, import this aura for easy view of lightning shield stacks:

Version:4.23; icon:Spell_Nature_LightningShield; buffname:lightning shield; x:-186; alpha:1; owntex:true; mine:true; inVehicle:0; size:0.29; y:-91; ismounted:0; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.LegacySizing:false; stacks.Relative:CENTER; stacks.Transparent:true; stacks.h:2.09; stacks.Texture:AccidentalPresidency
and for view of your lava flows, to be sure when you can cast that fast hex when your FS gets dispelled

Version:4.23; icon:Spell_Shaman_LavaFlow; buffname:lava flows; x:-254; alpha:1; owntex:true; mine:true; inVehicle:0; size:0.17; y:-76; ismounted:0; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.Relative:CENTER; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.LegacySizing:false; stacks.Relative:CENTER; stacks.Transparent:true; stacks.h:2.09; stacks.Texture:AccidentalPresidency

Molten Member
Destino August 30, 2013  
from my expirience, i use chain lightning in arenas, to stack lightning shield gives it pretty fast since the cast time is lower the lb-s. also if the enemy has pets or are together (arena situation) the chance to get double lighning shield is higher.
for earthquacke, i only use it for rogues,hunters and druids stealth hunters specialy cause you can actualy see where they stop and un-camouflage them very usefull since then you can be the first to attack, besiddes that i never use it XD
also macro
/use (pvp trinket with sp)
/cast elemental mastery

also using fulmi during elemental mastery and trinket up + power torrent , big smile

Molten Member
ciamcoreal September 2, 2013  
I saw haste>mastery part and had to write this... meh. The spec revolves around BURST. Haste is against the very concept of the spec. You think its a lot harder to interrupt a 1,7 sec spell than 2,0 sec spell? Not really.

Your cast time spells are of two schools, so you can basically encourage enemy to interrupt the school you like and instantly freecast the spell from other school, unless there is more than 1 enemy attacking you ofc, but then haste wont help you at all and you're screwed anyway.

Lava surge is so poor talent, the chance is so low that it doesnt matter too much, you may get 2 procs in arena but more likely you will get 1 or 0. And you still need to cast that spell. Its not pve where every bit of dps matters in long run. Moreover, we know how hard it is to cast in arena, and by picking that talent you assume that you will be able to cast another lava burst within the few seconds left to finish the cooldown on your lava burst, or else the proc from talent gets wasted. Its a bit of preferrence but its next to useless for me, arena-wise.

Lightning bolt being castable while moving is another thing which makes haste less valuable.
You can root melee with totem to secure your lava burst cast.
The procced cl/lb spells also charge your fulmination faster.
...and many more

Also when you have 30-35% chance to proc a stuff from mastery its actually quite decent, and opportunity to kill some1 within 3 secs is exactly what makes this spec so cool. With haste you become dull turret, you need to cast more to kill someone, and thus, ironically, u get interrupted more, the opposite to what you claimed above.

Edited: September 2, 2013
Molten Member
Crymemore September 21, 2013  
No offence, but this is totally bad. Just start from talents...

Molten Member
Ivoga September 23, 2013  
Posted by Crymemore View Post
Agree with this nab

Banned
sn3kox November 4, 2013  
Posted by Crymemore View Post
So could you give any idea's how to respec tallent's ?

Molten Member
Stensson210 November 17, 2013  
Meh, besides from taking earthquake I'd say your talent spec looks fine as it is. I also like haste>mastery but don't think that you ought to reforge haste->mastery and it would be swell if you could explain your glyphs because I took the 20% dmg reduce after elemental mastery glyph and with the focus elementals are getting it seems perfect. I can totally unsestand why you took the hex one tho.

Edited: November 18, 2013
Molten Member

Tools

Designed by Molten